Continuing in our series of faux stone techniques, we will be making Mother of Pearl and Ivory/Bone. We will be covering a paper mache box using the Mother of Pearl and making buttons using the Ivory/Bone technique. We will also try our hand at carving and backfilling.
See the supply list below. Please be sure to condition your clay BEFORE the meeting.
Clay (preferably Premo)
Two 2 oz. packages of Black
One 2 oz. package of Pearl
One 2 oz. package of Gold
Two* 2 oz. packages of White
Two* 2 oz. packages of Ecru or beige (or one of each to see the difference)
Two* 2 oz. packages of Translucent
*The last three colors are used in the bone and ivory stacks. If you want to make both, you will need two bars of each color. The added gold is basically the difference between bone and ivory. As for the ecru or beige, each gives a slightly different tone so it is just whichever color appeals to you or bring one bar of each.
“Must have” Tools and Supplies:
Be sure to bring your normal travel kit with a minimum of your pasta machine, clear roller, clay blade, ceramic tile or other work surface, baby wipes.
For the Mother of Pearl
• Light colors of Mica powders such as pink, yellow, turquoise, fuchsia, pearl dust and soft brush . We will have enough to share if you don’t have these.
• Tiny shape cutters for your box- these will be for the inlay so tiny cutters
• Acrylic Paint - Black or liquid clay for inside your box if desired
• Tweezers for working with small pieces
*Wax paper, gloves and paper mache box will be supplied by guild. Boxes are 3L x 2 ½W x1 ½ H.
For the Bone/Ivory
• Acrylic Paint - Raw umber (or choice of "dirt" color)
• Paper towel
• Plastic wrap
• Tools for distressing such as stylus, needle tool, pins, sewing needle, screws, etc.
• A carving tool if you have one so we can demo backfilling with this technique. If you don’t own one, borrow one at the meeting to see if you like this first! (NOTE: If you decide to buy one, a good choice would be a Speedball Linoleum Cutter. )
*Coffee stirrers for holes will be supplied by guild and button mold available from guild for making your own. These are meant to be individual buttons and shapes but feel free to bring scrap clay to make your own mold from the button mold to take home if you like.